Thursday, January 15, 2009

My family....on Christmas Day


Isn't she so beautiful in this red velvet???

Pat, being the best Uncle, and always fun!
My brother's family, and Lulu's cousin!
I love this one, because the girls are so intrigued....

Well, I thought maybe we would die on this Christmas day. No Joke! The weather was awful, and my mother's road to her home was worse than I'd ever seen. Then to top it off she lives in the country, where the private road it poorly maintained and ill prepared for snow. Seriously, this made for a scary, and most dangerous adventure to get to her house. Which, I will NEVER, Never do again in the snow. The road is usually dirt, with ravine's on either side, but this day it was thick snow and ice, with ravines on either side and many very unprepared, and quite unintelligent people clogging up the hills with stopped, or abandoned vehicles. John Martin was kind enough to allow us to borrow their Suburban 4WD, and so thought "no problem". We were wrong, you can never estimate just how dangerous another person can be when they don't know how to drive in the snow, but do so anyways. I'm not talking about Pat here. He is a marvelous driver, but it's all the others on the side of (and in the middle of) that road that night! I was scared for my life, and my daughter's. There was a true point when we were sliding backwards in the ditch and I looked around in the Suburban to assess how quickly I could unstrap Lulu and which point of exit would be the safest, and realized it was also the farthest point of exit, and we may have to ride this thing out if we fall in the ravine down the hill.

It was all the cause of a man in a minivan who decide to stop in the middle of a hill on his way up taking up both lanes and get his dog and daughter out to play while he Removed! his chains, YES! I wrote that right, "removed his chains". This was also immediately after a blind hill. Well, what was Pat to do, but pull up along side him and ask to help him. That's when it all started: OK I'll spare you, and stop here, but obviously we're still alive! And we had a nice time with the family.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Oh my, I never heard that story, glad you're all still here! But I will tell you that on Dec 23rd when the kids and I went out to deliver cookies, there was a point in time when I was thinking to myself, okay, if we slide or someone is sliding towards us, I want to reach back and pull whatever kids carseat is gonna be on the impact side as far to the middle as possible! It was totally not worth it, I will not risk it for the sake of delivery cookies again!